Short History of Electrolysis
Cosmetic electrolysis traces its roots back to 1875 when a Dr
Charles E. Michel first reported his use of electrolysis to treat
ingrown eyelashes. At that stage he had been performing
electrolysis since 1869. This first use of electrolysis was
using the galvanic method.
Towards the latter part of the nineteenth century electrolysis was
well known and electrolysis machines were commercially
available. Around 1920 the performance of electrolysis moved
from the medical profession to electrologists.
In 1924 Dr Henri Bordier developed the thermolysis method which is
also known as diathermy, high-frequency or short-way method. By
the 1940's thermolysis was more widespread due in part to the
availability of more reliable vacuum tube machines.
Around 1948 Arthur Hinkel and Henri St. Pierre were granted a
patent on their blend machine.
During the '60's and 70's electrolysis machines continued to become
easier to use and more reliable as electronics improved and
transistorized equipment became available.
| How Electrolysis Works |